Saturday, 1 October 2005

Belated teenage angst

Just thinking about my adolescence.

I never experienced a single ounce of teenage angst. I was always skinny, had friends, did really well at school and got on with my parents reasonably well.

There was that one time that I poured a glass of milk and my dinner over my dad, but I put that down to PMT and stress rather than teenage-spesific hormones.

I never rebelled either, mostly because I was naively allowed to do whatever I wanted. Fortunately for, but not thanks to, my parents, I stayed away from hard drugs, unprotected sex and unwise vehicleous action of any kind.

And now? Now I'm like a 14-year old, irritated at everything and everyone, questioning everything, getting on worse with my dad than ever and secretly regretting never taking up cigarette smoking (even at my present state of mind I realise how ridiculous it would seem if I started now).

Is it a belated teenage identity seeking thing, since I was too lazy to bother when I was actually of the appropriate age? Thesis title: "Does absence of teenage rebellion in Western youth increase the chances of a mid-20s crisis?"

Fortunately, J will be picking me up from work later, and I'm hoping he'll have a soothing effect since his (real) neuroses always outshine my (largely imagined) ones.

I'll be spending tomorrow handling a) football and b) less than benign future in-laws, so if I'm not back by Tuesday, send out a search party. Detailed sit. rap. to follow. Have a glorious weekend, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Wow...The Similarities between our youth are astounding. I never really rebelled either, and I pretty much followed the same path with the drugs and not smoking thing. I know exactly what you mean and where you're coming from. Except I've never poured milk on my dad....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fought with my parents, rebelled, drank before I was legal, succumbed to drugs, peer pressure, drunken driving, stealing, vanadalism and sexual promiscuity.
    I look back at myself and realize I will never be able to get away with that kind of lunatic madness ever again.
    I made an ass of myself as often as possible, regretted it every morning, and then went back for seconds.
    Now, I feel, as a semi-reformed young adult, that I will forever live in the shadow of my youth; drinking to stupidity, chasing girls from venue to venue, in search of that ephemeral, ethereal, apoplectic high of my juvenile delinquency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a similar teenage upbringing too, going from high to high, never feeling fully high enough however we will never fill that hole that we are all trying to fill. It's deep inside and there's only one puzzle piece that will ever fit it - Jesus Christ. I decided to give me life to Him when i was 18 and I can honestly say that hole has been filled and i'm on a constant high. "God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end." (Ecclesiastes 3:11)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for not just lurking..

Peer Review Section