Wednesday, 7 December 2005

Choices, choices

And I am not talking about the online retailer, although I did order something from there for my sister for Christmas just yesterday.

Every year I have the same dilemma with her (she is now 17): should I get her something I know she'll appreciate and actually use, or should I give her something she actually is asking for, but will forget about after about a week?

This year, it's about Singstar (for the uninitiated, it's a karaoke game for PS2). She wants the Singstar 80s game. Now I'm sure you can all calculate that she wasn't exactly there the first time around. Nor is she especially interested in vintage music of any kind.

The only reason she wants the 80s version rather than a previous version with songs she actually knows, is that it's the most recent edition and probably all her friends have bought it. This is usually the reason she wants anything at all.

I have no idea how my parents have managed to bring up two completely well-balanced individuals before bringing up one extremely materialistic child obsessed with labels and being exactly like her friends.

It annoys the hell out of me, but could of course just be a case of eldest-youngest envy or something. I just don't think you should want a coat that makes you look crap just because your friend has one. At any age. Being a teenager is no excuse for this.

So anyway, I decided against my better judgement to get her the 80s Singstar. Because if she got one she didn't want (even if she'd most likely have more fun with it) she would open it, say 'oh' with a really expressionless face, put it down and never look at it again. Sigh. When I have children... Then again, that's what everyone thinks.

Now I've sidetracked so far I think I'm going to have to do a separate post on the choices I actually meant to talk about. Arrrh.

Technorati tags:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for not just lurking..

Peer Review Section