Saturday, 31 December 2005

So long and thanks for all the fish

I will most likely be spending the evening with J, eating a lovely dinner he has promised to cook (once Liverpool FC are done doing whatever it is they do this afternoon) and maybe playing the board game I got for Christmas from my Brother and his girlfriend.

It will be the first time in my life when I'm not at a big party for New Year.

Even when I was a child, I used to go with my parents, there were always other kids around and fireworks and sparklers.

This year, my goal is not to fall for the temptation of wearing sweatpants and an old sweather. I really should make an effort. I even waxed my upper lip this morning in anticipation.

It's strange. Although I know I will miss my friends, it feels quite right to spend the day with J, to take stock of the year we had and wait for the new one to arrive.

Last New Year I spent half the evening on the phone to him (great hostessing, I know). I can't remember what we talked about, but we stayed on the phone until about three in the morning.

The next day his mother was concerned he had called a phone sex line.

It's that time of the year again. I was going to wait and post this tomorrow morning, but then I thought 2006 should really be spent looking forward, not back.

So here it goes. And a very happy New Year to everyone!

1. What did you do in 2005 that you had never done before?

Went on a couply holiday (that is; holiday with other couples). Still in denial about it

2. Did you stick to your new year resolutions, and will you be making any
new ones for this year?

I can't remember what it was last year, but this year it's definitely going to be healthier living

3. What countries have you visited?

Hungary, Spain, Ireland

4. What would you like to have in 2006 which you were missing in 2005?

An engagement ring. My own flat

5. What dates from 2005 will be eched onto your memory, and why?

I can't remember a single one! Is that bad? Or maybe I should say the day J decided to give us a serious go. It was back in Feb sometime

6. What was the greatest thing you did all year?

The cathedral in Sevilla was impressive. Otherwise, setting up a blog with my friends was a good idea

7. Did you suffer from illness or wrongdoing?

I don't think I've ever been sick as much as I've been this year! I've had a cold for at least 25% of the time. It's ridiculous. And then there's all the men who've yelled after me on the street (wrongdoing!). Don't even get me started


8. What was your best buy?

The PS2, GTA San Andreas and a white skirt I got from Kookai

9. What was your worst buy?

I got this orange top from Zara cause I ran out of clean shirts. In retrospect I am certain they'd have other better colours. I also got an out of date Lancome moisturiser while on holiday, which I was then unable to return. Curse you, expensive toiletries

10. Whose behaviour deserves celebration?

Mine! My mother's. And sometimes, J's

11. Whose behaviour made you scared and depressed?

His mum's. Not so much scared, mostly the latter

12. What did you spend the most money on?

Travelling and eating out (no jokes, pls)

13. What made you really happy?

Realising I was actually celebrating Christmas with J

15 (surely 14?) What song will remind you of 2005?

I can't remember any! Although I could say 'Beautiful' by James Blunt. But that would just be too embarrassing, even on this anonymous blog

16. Compared with last year this time, are you:
a) Happier or unhappier? Happier, definitely
b) Fatter or skinnier? About the same, I like to think, but it could potentially be a little fatter...
c) Richer or poorer? Richer. But it won't last

17. What do you wish you had done more of?

Read more books, spent more quality time at home

18. What do you wish you had spent less time doing?

Being really tired due to work

19. How do you want to celebrate Christmas in 2006?

At home with my family and friends. Same procedure as every year, pls

20. Did you fall in love in 2005?

No, but I still was, if that counts

21. How many one-night stands?

None! Amazing

22. What was your favourite show on TV?

Life in the Undergrowth. Insects rock

23. Books in 2005?
Not enough.
a) The best - "The Master and Margarita" by Bulgakov
b) The funniest - I don't really go for funny books
c) The most obvious - Or obvious ones... Although Kate Atkinson's "Case Histories" was pretty bloody obvious
d) The worst - I've miraculously managed to avoid bad ones this year
e) The one to which I had the greatest expectations - "The Master and Margarita". And it paid off! Especially the part with the cat and the chess board

24. Greatest discovery in music?

None. God, I'm getting old!

25. Favourite film of the year?

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and Serenity. I'm working on Firefly now

26. Worst film?

Arrr... There was a lot of badness but I seem to have successfully blocked it from my memory. Can I go for Space Cadets although it's not a film really? The crapness, it's amazing

27. What wish did you make that was fulfilled?

To stick it out with my boyfriend

28. Unfulfilled wishes?

I'm not engaged yet!! Errr... No, I really wanted to win the lottery and become a successful self-published writer. And move home

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I was 27 and had drinks with my best friend

30. How would you describe your personal style in 2004?

"Messy, yet stylish"

31. What political issue did you feel most strongly about?

The survival of the welfare state and social democracy in the face of conservative forces

32. What do you miss the most?

My friends

33. What person are you the most happy that you met last year?

J's best friend. He's very fun

34. Valuable lesson of live learned in 2004?

Trust your instincts, even when they're wrong.


Technorati tags:


6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I found your blog - I can't begin to tell you how much I like you.

    Have a lovely New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Likewise! Hope I can keep it up in my new job where I might actually have to do some work... I guess 2006 will be exciting for the both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Happy New Year!

    Does J's Girlfriend have a name?

    (And, don't you share each other's toothbrushes?)

    Muchly,

    Wanabehuman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful day today! Wish you all the best in next year, as well as to your loved ones!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making a list to thank everyone who commented on my blog in 2005 - you did - thank you! List to post later today. Best wishes for 2006!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your Blog as well (a little mutual ass kissery never hurts I suppose). You may now read my posts free from seizure angst. Tell Roberta I said Hi and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for not just lurking..

Peer Review Section