Sunday, 22 January 2006

All we have is Brokeback Mountain

In the song 'Breakfast at Tiffany's', the singer finds consolation in the fact that he and his girlfriend both kind of liked the same film.

Well, I can now say the same! After dragging J to numerous films which I thought were great, and he thought were awful (I've already briefly gone over which ones here), we finally went to see Brokeback Mountain.

Nothing like a sham marriage to brighten up the day
In case you haven't already had the pleasure of this all else than gay romp, not to worry as there aren't any real spoilers coming up.

In the way of the capital, or urban Britain in general, we enjoyed the film in a completely characterless multiplex cinema in North London.

It is coincidentally one of my favourite places for cinema hopping (where you pay for one film and then rush to another theatre at random at the end of the first show and watch at least two films in a row for the price of the first).

And it was indeed a lovely film. My grandfather emigrated to the US and lived there for over 20 years, in landscapes such as those portrayed by Ang Lee. I like horses. I like Jake Gyllenthaal. What's not to like.

As I observed J in the theatre towards the end of the film, he looked very stern. This usually means he's really tired and struggling to stay awake, so I snuggled up to his arm and didn't say anything.

As the credits rolled, I got up, gathered my belongings and was about to leave when I saw that my love was still seated firmly in his chair.

"Are you OK," I asked, as I saw he looked a little pale when the lights came on.

"Did you not think that was really sad," he said.

Well, yes, it was sad, but come on.

"I had to really concentrate not to sob out loud for at least the last third," J said.

We continued the trend started by the multiplex by getting a cheap meal at a nearby Weatherspoon's, and it took him about half an hour before he could actually string together a proper sentence not consisting of the words "but it's so unfair!".

"But that was in the 60s that they met, right," he then said to comfort himself.

I felt I couldn't not mention "Boys Don't Cry" and the fact that they still appear to enjoy killing gay people for fun in some parts of the US.

J is a man who worries that his feelings are 'less' than those of other people, an idea which is no doubt a product of his mother's relentless indoctrination over the years.

He is, lest we forget, an awful son, who has no sentiment for people other than himself. And whatever feelings he would express would always be "wrong", "bad" or "selfish" in his mother's eyes.

She does, in all seriousness, still put his perceived lack of emotional responsiveness down to his lack of interest in the great romantic novels of Dostojevskiy and the like.

So obviously a very perceptive and psychologically aware woman.

Yet he cries at the end of Woody Allen's Manhattan.

No, not just at the first watch, but every time he watches it.

And at the end of every other soppy drama. Now including Brokeback Mountain.

If we don't get a wonderful life together, at least we'll have Brokeback Mountain.

Sorry, J's mum, but I think Hollywood and I clearly win this one.

6 comments:

  1. "Breakfast at Tiffany's". Damn you. Now I have that song reverberating in my head and I shall not be able to sleep.

    I consider myself fairly in touch with my emotional side but have never been moved to tears by a film... maybe because "Nympho Adventures Six" is not really meant to be a tear-jerker...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe not a tear jerker, but surely a 'jerker'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey "Al",

    We definitely liked the post aboot the first crush/love. Very sweet. Shan't contribute with our own antics however.

    We've gone a bit mad thinking about serious stuff, so we've posted something totally F.A.B.!

    You can have hours of fun with Google Videos and a whole afternoon to kill...

    Muchly,
    Wanabehuman

    Ps. Perchance you like Paul Simon or is the clue 'Al' really a part of your name? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. here in the States, we're continuously subjected to pretty much out-of-control hype, especially books & fims.

    So. My Wife is I suspect adoring of 'cute young guys' (we're both 74,) & buys hype by some mysterious process I haven't figured out. So. Dying to see B.B.Mtn she is. I'm dying not to. I don't think I'm even a trace homophobic, but any movie w/ people wearing cowboy hats and riding horses I have not the slightest interest in seeing. I like good films & scenery is a plus but it will soon be out on DVD & I've been out West so the scenery isn't really a novelty. Am I out of line? (OBTW, I sort of liked the 'Crying Game').

    cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, but certain films are just better in the cinema... You should see it. The hyped bits are maybe overhyped, but it's a very solid drama and it really wouldn't be as beautiful in your living room, even if you have a massive TV.

    'Al'? I thought you came up with that part!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for not just lurking..

Peer Review Section