Tuesday, 31 January 2006

How it all began I

I've never really described how the relationship between J and I started.

I would love to say started in a really dramatic, foot-sweeping unconventional but romantic way, but unfortunately that's not the case.

A coat stand and a faulty railway started it all
I used to work in an office which has lots of medium sized open office spaces centered around a corridor.

All rooms have windows facing the corridor, and my desk just so happened to be near the open area at the end where people hang their coats in the morning.

There was a severe lack of hot men in that office; I went to the gym one day with a colleague and she decided to ask me the schoolgirl question of 'if you had to kiss one guy from the office, who would it be'. I can honestly say I didn't know, but when pressed on the issue, and to shut her up as I didn't have the breath to maintain a conversation while we were both on a treadmill, I named J.

He had started in a neighbouring department about six months earlier. In the beginning I thought he was a temp, as they often use temps there rather than hiring permanent staff, so I ignored him for as long as I could, and only introduced myself to him when I realised he was actually there for good and I'd been quite rude so far.

He was ridiculously boringly dressed (which he still is largely) so I wouldn't have noticed him at all if it weren't for the fact that he always put his coat up in the area by my desk. But when he was wearing his calf-length black coat (wool and cashmere as I later found out) he actually looked quite swanky when swanning past on the other side of the window.

So that's why I named him.

"Do you think he has a girlfriend?" my colleague asked.

I didn't know because I hadn't bothered finding out, but looking back I realise I had already been scoping him out for months.

About a week after my colleague's shrewd interrogation (she admitted later that she was convinced I had a crush on J but was in denial) Railtrack threw a joker in my direction by scheduling engineering just on the weekend when I was going away on a mini-break.

It turned out J was going to the same place, and he was driving, and the words just fell out of my mouth as I asked him if he could give me a lift. He said yes.

When he picked me up in the morning, he seemed a little nervous, but we got on really well, chatted in the car and I was wondering how I could establish whether or not he was single (I failed on this and many other occasions).

I accused him of being middle class and spoilt (the car being a gift from his mum), he accused me of being rude (having asked someone I barely knew to drive me half way across the country).

He dropped me off a lot further out of his way than he would have had to, and at night as I found myself naked with someone else (the casual main reason for the weekend break), I realised I did have a crush on J.

A serious one.

To the extent where sex with my weekend break date meant nothing.

I would love to say that the rest is history, but this was merely the beginning. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for not just lurking..

Peer Review Section