Tuesday, 28 February 2006

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

..or makes it wander.

In this case, definitely the former.

J picked me up from the airport today. He was partly hiding behind a pillar at Heathrow in a very cute way; I spotted him out of the corner of my eye as he approached me with a boquet of red roses.
A fitted v-neck... A little preppy, but every man should have one!
He was as always a little apprehensive at first.

Apparently it takes him "a few minutes to get used to me again", although at those times he most of all reminds me of a shy 14-year old on a second date, where he's not sure if the girl still likes him.

He'd worn his new jeans for the occasion especially because I like them, and said he had showered and also especially washed his hands (??).

So there he was, all bashful as he opened his present (a V-necked sweater in a deep brownish purple which he admitted to loving, a banana holder so his fruit will never again get squashed in his bag (no puns intended there although I feel one might be hiding somewhere), and five golf balls my dad found when he walked our dog on the local golf course).

But by the time we were sitting across from each other enjoying 1/4 crispy duck and some oyster sauce tofu for lunch, he was saying every 5 seconds how much he liked me and how good it was to have me back.

I could tell he was feeling a little lonely while I was away, but I think he doesn't trust his feelings enough to believe that it is because he misses me.

He seemed very relieved to find that this was indeed the case.

Unfortunately he had to head off quite early for work purposes, and although that was only a few hours ago we've been on the phone twice (for instance I've found out that the sweather fitted approximately, although it might have been a little small and he needs a second opinion).

A bit of distance is good in a relationship; it helped me break up with my boyfriend of 3 years when I realised I'd spent my whole long weekend dreading having to ever see him again.

But with J and I... It's almost as if we've just met, even though I've only been gone for five days. It is so lovely. I just hope that it'll still be like that in ten years time when we've been apart.

The roses are sitting in a vase, awaiting J's return in a few days.

Meanwhile I'll just sit here and enjoy You Are What You Eat (gasp! 43 bars of chocolate in a week!!! HOW?!), over my last bag of crisps before I give them up for Lent... Along with the Playstation. Sob. It'll be a late night.

Cause it ain't Lent until I get up again tomorrow morning!!

2 comments:

  1. Aw, that is so sweet!

    My J and I can't stay away from each other for more than a day or two before we get all miserable. No matter how sweet the reuniting will be I'd rather we never be apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. giving up chocolate! u crazy girl!!! I would go bananas or even worse drive everybody else bananas if I have to give up my weekly bar of chocolate.

    may the force be with you

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for not just lurking..

Peer Review Section