Monday, 15 May 2006

Turf War

Our House, but in my head it's still My House.

Maybe moving in together is all about territorialising.

OK, so I know it's
J has a lot of stuff. He's never lived away from England for more than a year, his mum loves him to bits and has a very large garage.

His slight OCD/depressive tendencies are also manifested in hoarding; he would literally keep stuff he hadn't read because he felt guilty about reading them.

And now J, and his OCD collection of Stuff, has come to live with Me.

This includes:
  • Every issue of a very bulky weekly sports magazine since 1987 (I joke you not)
  • Biographies on football players I've never even heard of and whose hair styles indicate that my ignorance is due to them being at the height of football fame before I was even considered by my parents
  • Numerous literary reference books (by a man who never, ever, finishes a work of fiction)
  • A gazillion classical music CDs
  • Three books about sports in the Soviet Union
  • At least three different magazines and fanzines that he never reads but still subscribes to out of sentimentality, dating back to mid-80s
  • Approximately 400 video tapes of current affairs programmes and romantic films


Which is fine by me, because we've got an extra bedroom which I've already dedicated to his stuff.

I don't like living spaces to be cluttered; I grew up in the earli 90s and am a firm believer in minimalism and things being kept out of sight.

He was beginning to put stuff away yesterday on the shelf that I built with my own two hands on Saturday; I was of course done unpacking about a week ago.

I don't own much stuff. I think stuff weighs you down. I've lived in a handful of different countries over the past ten years, and given away most of the things I accumulated each time I moved.

So although my literary and music collection only fills up about 1/3 of a small book shelf (and that's including my PlayStation games), it does actually mean that I get to keep 100% of my posessions in the 'shared' living areas...

Thinking about this and watching him lovingly sort his numerous fanzines into piles, I felt a bit guilty, as if I'm not really wanting to share the house with him.

Then again, I don't want 27 foreign-language dictionaries in the living room either, as I know who will be the one to dust them. My policy that only stuff you actually read, are intending to read or that other people frequently borrow should be on display.

But maybe I'll allow the presence of about 50 of the Liverpool FC videos or something. As a concession. Because that's how nice I am...

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that is extensive... would he feel guilty if he sold most of that stuff on ebay and actually made some money off of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted a reply to your comment please check it out,
    Thank You
    bozette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's an idea. While he is gone, have a few friends stage a "break in" and haul off all of his crap that you want to get rid of:)

    "I'm so sorry honey....I know how you treasured that 1987 copy of Sports Illustrated"

    Chris
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, but this is precisely what lofts are for. I bet you don't even have anything to play video tapes on, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't even have a TV! Only my dear playstation... But J has a TV and a VCR.

    The break-in idea, what a great one! But I have to say the prize goes to Logtar, the weekly sports mag will indeed be flogged on Ebay.

    J is however reluctant to split the collection, so if you have any sports-mad friends with large lofts, let them know... It'll be a bargain!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for not just lurking..

Peer Review Section