Wednesday, 21 June 2006

Shopping torture

We went shopping today to find a dress for me for a wedding we're going to in July. After having trawled through most of House of Fraser (department stores are so handy when you're pressed for time) I saw this dress in Whistles.

This isn't it, but I though a photo might help visualise my pain
Although I knew it would be completely inappropriate for the wedding, I tried it on. It was a perfect fit.

I seem to be a model size 8 in Whistles, as opposed to every other shop, where my boobs are too small or my waist not thin enough.

It was the loveliest dress I've tried on in... I don't know, ever, possibly.

It fell perfectly across my bum, lovingly supported my breasts and wrapped tightly around my waist. It was made of light green silk with a white star pattern on it.

And, unfortunately, it was £135.

There was probably a time where I would have just bought it. After all, although not formal enough for a wedding, it would have been perfectly fine for work.

But I think J has had an influence on my spending patterns.

J hates spending a lot of money on clothes. He thinks any T-shirt over £15 is not worth having, and the only expensive item he owns is his winter cashmere coat which I think he got 2nd hand.

It's not that he criticizes me for spending too much on clothes, but it makes me feel guilty.

Because, obviously, I have an £20,000 student loan I could be paying back instead. And although I'm already making more than the minimum payment every time, I know that I could always starve myself a little more and get rid of it a little sooner.

Now, of course, that dress is completely "the one who got away", and I love nothing more than the one who got away.

As we left the store empty handed, me pouting and teary-eyed at the separation, J gave me a big hug and said: "Even if you secretly go back and get that dress, I just want you to know that I really admire the amount of willpower you just showed."

Hearing that was almost as good as wearing that dress would be.

Almost.

Sob.

And, of course, if any of you live near a Whistles, you know where to find me...

Bonus Technorati tag:

1 comment:

  1. The dress is beautiful, but whatever you wear I have a suspicion you'll look beautiful. Still, hope you find a way...

    Tell J that I'll take him to Fat Face.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for not just lurking..

Peer Review Section