Friday, 6 October 2006

But not like that

I realise I've renamed my blog "an eye for an eye", but I don't really hope to aspire to that principle in a biblical sense.

Iraq, for instance, is really depressing me today.

I think at least 15 US soldiers have died in the last 96 hours. A Danish soldier just died as well from injuries sustained yesterday.

That used to be a Hummer a few seconds ago
It's not the fact that they're "coalition" soldiers that makes their deaths particularly harrowing.

What makes me really shudder is thinking of all the relatively innocent civilians' deaths which are marked by those official military death tolls.

I really have to ask, what do the insurgents want? OK so obviously they want the US "occupation" to leave, but what then?

They have either not comprehended the enormousity of the task that rebuilding Iraq will be, or they don't care.

As attention gradually is diverted from killing US soldiers (which they do remarkably well) to killing each other, Iraq is descending into something which can't really be called civil war, as I'm sure most of the residents really just want to have peace so they can actually make some money from the oil wealth that lies at the root of all of this.

I look at the way the "resistance" run their groups, the way they post boasting "Top 100 Humvee bombings" videos online like immature Myspace kids bragging about getting laid last weekend.

Do they really think that this is what it takes to run a country? I never hear anyone from Ansar Al-Sunnah interviewed on Al-Jazeerah talking about their grand stategy for economy, education, health or anything else that would be central to rebuilding Iraq once the "occupation" is gone and all the "takfiris" eradicated.

I realise that I can't even begin to understand the frustration that some Sunnis in Iraq feel at the country going to the dogs after the fall of Saddam, but they really don't seem to have much of a better idea of how to run the country than the clueless US administration or their corrupt government.

All I can say is that wasting time, lives and resources on launching endless mortar attacks on "the enemy" hardly seems like a very constructive way forward. It is even debatable to what extent Iraq is actually "occupied".

I just re-watched the documentar "Murderball" about the US wheelchair rugby team, and although it is a strong story about the team taking on their arch-rivals Canada, what really sticks in my mind is a scene where they visit a rehab camp for Iraq veterans.

And the "veterans" are all kids. Really, kids. They all look like they're under 20, they are so young.

I'm sure this demographic is also applicable to the Iraq militants, who obviously also get maimed and killed left, right and centre.

The older, more experienced fighters either sit in a bunker directing operations safely away from the action, or are maybe better at avoiding getting injured when out in the field.

Is this the freedom that both Iraqis and the US is fighting for, the right of their young to lose their limbs to their fight of choice?

I wish I could say for sure that there is a better and more sensible way, but all I can say is that for the sake of all the young people of both nations, I really hope there is.

3 comments:

  1. EEEE! You're Back! Yay! I've missed you dearly My friend! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi gorgeous - glad you're back. And... well, yes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for not just lurking..

Peer Review Section